Sunday, December 30, 2007

Barry Sanders used to juke defenders out of their shoes...


Greetings and salutations!,

From dictionary.com: “Gullah, the English-based Creole language spoken by people of African ancestry off the coast of Georgia and South Carolina, retains a number of words from the West African languages brought over by slaves. One such word is juke, "bad, wicked, disorderly," the probable source of the English word juke. Used originally in Florida and then chiefly in the Southeastern states, juke (also appearing in the compound juke joint) was an African-American word meaning a roadside drinking establishment that offers cheap drinks, food, and music for dancing and often doubles as a brothel. "To juke" is to dance, particularly at a juke joint or to the music of a jukebox whose name, no longer regional and having lost the connotation of sleaziness, contains the same word.”

I’ve also heard ‘juke’ used as a verb meaning to fake out a defender in football….

I’m listening to music on my new juke phone (see pic) while I write this. I’ve found it to be quite a fun phone. As I do chores around the house, I’ll have it playing music while sticking out of the pocket of my jeans. It certainly makes laundry a lot more fun. But I’m discovering that there is also a downside. I sort of miss the quiet. I find that my mind doesn’t explore and reflect on as many things during the course of my day…because I’m being distracted by the (albeit good) music playing from my new phone.

I wonder, do you spend enough time…or any…without distractions? When was the last time you took the time to drink in quietness…and simply listened to your thoughts and to the rhythm of life going on around you? If it’s been awhile I urge you to give it a try. Schedule yourself some silence before going back to work or school after New Years. You may just find that you dig it.

Have a happy and safe New Year’s. I’m excited about 2008 – I think it’s going to rock!

Peace,

Kevin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home